November 25, 2011

Life In The Analog Age: There Once Was - Review

I've showcased his animated shorts here before, and now I'm proud to present an advanced review and sneak peak of Gabe Swarr's new book; Life In The Analog Age Volume 1: There Once Was


This graphic novel of Gabe's collected comics is truly amazing and will be especially appealing to those born in the late 70s and early 80s as he takes a nostalgic look back at his childhood and tells his stories in this fantastic cartoon comic book format.

With his dark pale purple lines and orange palette of colors, Gabe transports you back to the simpler time of your childhood. For me, reading this book became surprisingly touching, and greatly inspiring.

Toys, comics, cartoons, music, and school life -- all those things that encompass the very existence of every child growing up in the 80s. The sights, sounds and smells of the changing seasons and the holidays were some of my favorite moments in the book. Often, he even labels and composes his shots in ways that remind me of typical animation storyboards (which is the author's background).

It covers lots of things - Watching Back to The Future, running outside, and playing Nintendo, he even mentions where he grew up happened to be 45 min. away from the closest movie theater... it was the same way for me, you had to chose wisely which movie you were going to watch, because going to the theater was a rare event.

I smiled from ear to ear when Gabe illustrated his memory of seeing his first live WWF event, then a week later saw the same match on television. The exact same thing happened to me when I was 12.

It's obvious to say that I felt a connection with this little collection of comic strips, because I feel like Gabe reached into my own treasured childhood memories, extracted moments and situations and displayed them on this orange paper. I can't wait to see more of this stuff!


I can't say enough about this book, and I dare not say more and risk spoiling the fun for all of you. I highly recommend it to say the least! This book makes me want to start drawing that comic I've been putting off for years now.
"These projects are another part of my life, they are my time, they are what I pour my actual life and heart into, and it feels great to add this other dimension to my artistic expression". -Gabe Swarr
Buy this book!
it's complete with awesome bonus materials like behind-the-scenes images,
his work process, and plenty of extras.


104 page, full color, 5.25" x 7.5".
 

It will be released on November 29th 2011,
and it will be available for digital download ($4.99) and in its traditional book format ($11.99) at the Life In The Analog store.
See more here: lifeintheanalogage.com and dummcomics.com

Check out Gabe Swarr's blog here.
See the animated versions of this comic here.

No comments: